Friday, May 27, 2011
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
... from the upcoming "Tales of the Emerald Yeti #1" from Near Mint Press by Kenn Minter and Clarence Pruitt.
Monday, May 16, 2011
"After a long trip through the darkness of centuries, I finally got The Experts trade from Amazon marketplace and got to read it. I had read the first two published issues, but never found the third or the TPB in stores. Here are my thoughts:
1) I luv me some Ninja Witch! She's a classic interestingly weird character in the mode of Don Simpson's Bizarre Heroes or Burden's Mystery Men. Really, I like the whole world, but Ninja Witch is a keeper who I hope has a future in another comic or two out there. Visually striking and a take-no guff attitude make her the hit character of the series.
2) Doctor Delta's backstory is compelling and an interesting look at the whole deal with the devil and hoodoo beliefs of the past. The characters and situations were great, though I think the dialect dialog didn't work as well as if the words were more plainly said. I wanted to know more about exactly what the curse was that bound the two lovers, and what the events at the end of their back story meant, but I imagine that the shortening of the series may have scuttled that. It would also be interesting to find out what kind of loophole that Doctor Delta found in order to allow him to fight crime with assumedly satanic powers.
3) The Experts organization is interesting, and it would be interesting to know more about just why they were doing the experiment they did on Ninja Witch.
4) Frost Queen was enigmatic, and I can't help that she had secret plans that the Scotsman didn't know about.
5) With the Emerald Yeti, Ninja Witch could have formed one Mean Green Crime-Fighting Machine!
6) Ninja Witch's mom was an interesting character, and I can't help but think we would have gotten some of the adventures of her in the Silver Age.
7) I never saw that Naked Man had any kind of powers, and I don't think it was mentioned why he had such a name.
8) I have a feeling Free Mary would have broken past the sterotypical bimbo in a longer series... there were hints that there was more there than most people saw in her.
9) Mr. Elaztik was just starting to develop, but I haven't decided if he gets a slide on betraying Ninja Witch or not!
I hope that eventually the throngs of comics fans eventually embrace The Experts, because I think it's a fun series that deserves a sequel. I feel like it had an interesting take on superheroics as a business that still left plenty of room for fun solid adventure and the occasional satric element."